Roast Turkey

So Mme. SF and I invited some of our friends for an authentic American thanksgiving dinner last November. It was a wonderful feast and everybody was impressed with our turkey that some of my Indonesian friends are going to make an attempt to make one.

The trick to make turkey ready for dinner is to start early, I mean way early. I learned this the hardway; one thanksgiving, I started to cook at 4, and we ended up eating at 10 (HA!) So from the Better Homes Cookbook, here's to turkey!

Roast turkey (serve 12)
1 5 kg (about 10 lbs) turkey
salt (optional)
stuffing (optional)
butter (optional)
Any herb you want to use (optional and I used dried parsley)

Make sure the turkey is thaw and rinse the turkey body cavity (if desired); pat dry with paper towels. Rub body cavity with salt and spoon stuffing loosely into neck and body cavity. Do not overstuffed turkey! Pin turkey neck skin to back.

Tie drumsticks securely to the tail and twist wing tips under the back. (I say that it is as if the turkey is ready for sunbathing :P)

Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush skin with butter and the herb. Cover turkey loosely with foil.

Roast in a 160 C (325F) oven for 2 1/4 hours. Remove foil, cut string between drumsticks. Continue roasting for 30 - 45 minutes (or 1 to 1 1/4 hours if stuffed) or until thermometer registers 82C (180F) and if stuffed, stuffing shound registers 73C (165F). Make sure that the juices run clear and drumsticks move easily in their socket.

Remove turkey from oven. cover with foil, let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.

Word of precaution: It always takes me longer than the stated time when I roast turkey. I think it is due to my oven and the fact that I constantly peek at my turkey because I just can't wait for it to be cook. The best way is to invest on a meat thermometer and check the temprature to make sure its doneness.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment