Sophisticated Mac-n-Cheese

I think Mac n Cheese is a very American dish; in fact, I didn't know its existence until I got to live in America. The first time I had the box Mac n Cheese, I thought that it was OK and didn't really care for it. Several years later, a group of us went to a restaurant and they told me how good their Mac n Cheese is, so I gave it another go, started to open up to this dish, and now it's in our occasional week meal (not because i don't like it, but face it, I don't want to get fat).


So after a full week craving mac n cheese, I finally made them yesterday. I got a basic recipe from The Better Homes Cook Book, but as always, I tweaked the recipe to my liking. I used smoked and mozzarella cheese and it turn out delicious. Of course I added a splash of white wine and italian herb to sophisticate my meal (after all I'm not in college anymore). I paired the mac n cheese with a simple salad and yes, it was a delicious dinner! I forgot to take a picture of it but it looked good (note to self: take more pictures of our food!)

Here's my tweaked version of Better Homes mac n cheese (as I call it sophisticated mac-n-cheese)
2 cups macaroni
1 brown onion
1 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
2 1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded smoked cheese
1/2 cup shredded tasty cheese (cheddar)
1 cup mozarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Black pepper and Italian herb to taste
1/4 cup white wine (I used Sauv. Blanc but i think any white wine will work)

Cook pasta according package direction, drain, set aside. In the same pot, melt butter, add anion and cook until soft, add flour, stir. Add milk and cook until bubbly and thicken. Add all the cheese, stir until melted. Add macaroni to sauce, sprinkle with italian herb, stir. Add white wine, black pepper, stir and serve! Enjoy!

PS: The cheese sauce will also work as a cheese fondue dip for bread.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment