Sweet Grilled Chicken

Of all ways you cook your food, I say my favorite will be grilling. Of course, outdoor BBQ is the ultimate grilling experience, but since a BBQ cost an arm and a leg here in the land of the down under, a stove top grill is an excellent substitute. I love my grill pan, got it at Costco a while back and I use at least once a week. So last week I made sweet grilled chicken (Indonesian style), it was delicious and quite easy to make. Although Msr. Quatre thinks it was a long process for the dish, I said it was well worth it. I forgot to take a picture, but it was "guest" tested and just yummy!


Grilled Chicken
1 chicken - cut into 4 or 8
butter
sweet soy sauce (it's Indonesian, it's dark, thick, and I think it has a molasses after taste)
1 (about 1 - 1.5 inch) galangal
1 lemon grass - cut into 3 or 4
3 bay leaves
5 red chillies - ground (I cheated I used "sambal oelek" red chillies paste)
2 cloves garlic
4 shallot
5 candlenuts
1/2 inch turmeric root
salt

Place garlic, shallot, candlenuts, turmeric, and salt in a food processor. Process well to form a thick paste. Boil chicken in water (or better yet coconut milk) with the paste, lemon grass, and bay leaves until chicken is cook in medium low heat.

Cool chicken, discard juice and move chicken to a ziploc bag. Add chillies and enough sweet soy sauce to cover chicken. Let it stand for 1 hour to overnight.

Melt butter (about 1 tbs) then add sweet soy sauce, stir well. Brush chicken with butter and sweet soy sauce mixture. Grill until chicken are hot and skins are slightly burn (about 20 minutes and re-brush chicken with butter mixture after turning)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment